At some point in your day/week/month, there’s nothing better than popping in a good movie, right? To satisfy your inner dancer, here are my top four movies focused on ballroom dancing.
- Shall We Dance
- The original Japanese version is my favorite, but the U.S. remake is also very good. What’s not to love about the saucy tango scene with Jennifer Lopez and Richard Gere?
- Side Note: As of this posting, the Japanese version is available on Netflix
- Strictly Ballroom
- Australians (Australian accents!) + ballroom dancing + the early 90s = pure awesomeness! This one has some crazy moments in the beginning, but stick with it. You’ll be glad you did.
- Mad Hot Ballroom
- Do you enjoy documentaries? Then this one is for you! Taken from the kids’ perspective, this movie revolves around a ballroom dance program aimed at 5th graders called “Dancing Classrooms” and the competition they want to win.
- Take The Lead
- If documentaries aren’t your style, here’s the Hollywood version of “Mad Hot Ballroom”. Starring Antonio Banderas, “Take The Lead” focuses on a teacher and a group of school kids as they dive into the world of ballroom dance.
- Honorable Mention #1: Dirty Dancing
- After all, nobody puts Baby in a corner!
- Honorable Mention#2: Footloose
- Sure, sightings of paired social dancing may be minimal at best, but you can’t go wrong with a young Kevin Bacon convincing a town that dance is good for the soul.
So grab some popcorn, find a comfy seat, and enjoy!
What did you think of my list? Did I miss any of your favorites? Email me at email@example.com